Hesitation, according to the Cambridge Dictionary, is “the act of pausing before doing something, especially because you are nervous or not certain”. When you’re uncertain of an action, you hesitate, and through hesitation, you delay the action. We spoke about faith yesterday, its importance, and necessity in achieving our goal and we also mentioned another necessary ingredient: action. But we can’t fully act on our plan if we’re hesitant, or if we’re not confident.
Hesitation is the first sign that suggests a lack of confidence. Without confidence, we can’t move on, we can’t make decisions, we can’t create anything and literally we can’t exist as independent human beings. We always rely on others to tell us what to do and when it goes wrong we hold them responsible. We allow them to make decisions for us and then we blame them for it. It doesn’t make any sense!!! It doesn’t make sense to allow others to make decisions for our life.
If you are the kind of person that blames others for your situation, is because you allowed them to make decisions on your behalf, and I believe there are thoughts going through your mind right now defending you like: “I didn’t have a choice”, or “It wasn’t my call to make”, “you have no clue what you’re talking about!”, but you know what? that doesn’t change anything, it doesn’t change the situation you’re in, because that is the result of your past actions… or inactions. There is nothing that you can do or say to change that right now, but there is something you can do to prevent the same thing happening tomorrow: take control of your actions, decisions and refuse to allow others to dictate how you live your life.
And I believe that what goes through your mind are thoughts like: “but, how do I do that?”, “where do I start?”, “what’s gonna happen to my family?”, etc. Whatever it is that goes through your mind is a natural reaction of your state of mind. If you are a confident person, you know what you must do to take control again of your life, but if you lack confidence in you and in your ability to take control of your life your mind will find only reasons to hold back, and there is nothing that you can do about that until you train your mind to gain confidence.
Antonyms of hesitation are certainty, confidence, decisiveness, determination, firmness, sureness, readiness. We need these to be able to act. We want to be confident in our goal and in our actions. We must be confident in ourselves. We are the vehicle to success, and we rely on ourselves to take us where we want to be. “Confidence is the feeling or the belief that one can have faith in something.” We don’t want to be hesitant, we don’t want to delay our success any longer. We’ve waited long enough and now is the moment to take what is rightful ours: the freedom.
If throughout your life, your confidence has been inhibited or suppressed, and you lack the courage to aim high, you are afraid of the consequences, or any other reasons your mind can conceive to stop you from getting what you want, stress no more, we’ve got it covered. Napoleon Hill, in his book “Think and Grow Rich“, gave us a powerful formula for gaining self-confidence. Since any idea, plan or purpose may be placed in the mind through repetition of thought, this formula, divided into 6 parts, must be said out loud every morning until you feel confident enough to take control of your life:
- I know that I have the ability to achieve the object of my definite purpose in life, therefore, I DEMAND of myself persistent, continuous action toward its attainment, and I here and now promise to render such action.
- I realize that the dominating thoughts of my mind will eventually reproduce themselves in outward, physical action, and gradually transform themselves into physical reality, therefore, I will concentrate my thoughts for 30 minutes daily, upon the task of thinking of the person I intend to become, thereby creating in my mind a clear mental picture of that person.
- I know through the principle of auto-suggestion, any desire that I persistently hold in my mind will eventually seek expression through some practical means of manifestation, therefore, I will devote 10 minutes daily to demanding of myself the development of self-confidence.
- I have clearly written down a description of my definite chief aim in life, and I will never stop trying until I shall have developed sufficient self-confidence for its attainment.
- I fully realize that no wealth or position can long endure, unless built upon truth and justice, therefore, I will engage in no transaction which does not benefit all whom it affects. I will succeed by attracting to myself the forces I wish to use, and the cooperation of other people. I will induce others to serve me, because of my willingness to serve others. I will eliminate hatred, envy, jealousy, selfishness, and cynicism, by developing love for all humanity, because I know that a negative attitude towards others can never bring me success. I will cause others to believe in me because I will believe in them and in myself.
- I will sign my name to this formula, commit it to memory and repeat it aloud once a day with full faith that will gradually influence my thoughts and actions so I will become a self-reliant and successful person.
Write this down in your notebook or save it on your phone and read it out loud every morning. You can also download the pdf, print it, sign it and stick it somewhere you can see it every morning, like next to your mirror, so whenever you are in front of the mirror you can say it out loud to yourself.
Thank you for reading!
Love and peace!